DoN. Nichols

Default Antique metal plating question

In article ,
Helen Scarth wrote:
Don asked:

Are these the covers which slide over the area where the shuttle bobbin goes,
and which the cloth glides over?

Yes, they are but the presser foot plate is silver coloured, not
bronze or brass like the slide plates. You sound like you know a bit
about old sewing machines. (-:

I grew up with my grandparents and there were two Singer treadle
machines in the room in which I spent much of my time. At first, I
played with the treadles while the machines were folded up, and later I
learned to do some sewing on them.

At present I have one sewing machine -- a Singer 221B electric
portable which has the same finish (black, with some gold decorative
paint), but a different bobbin setup.

This is about all that I know about them. :-)

This machine was in a terrible state when I bought it though. It was
too far gone to be a collector's item but will be handy for spare
parts and to study. Everything was covered in grease and rust and
while an overnight soaking in Evaporust cleaned up the presser foot
very well, it didn't affect the slide plates at all. Only Hagerty's
silver polish brought them to a shine. They could possibly be brighter
but would look strange against such a sad looking machine.

Understood.

They are the original plates though because the machine serial number
is stamped on them. The slide plates on my other two later Model 12s
are silver coloured, probably nickel plated, with the Singer logo
stamped on the left plate.

And you said that they are magnetic, so they are steel inside.
Your bronze ones may have also been nickel plated at one time.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564