Keith Marshall

Default How to reduce current on a cheapo mig welder?

Is it MIG with solid wire and shielding gas or is it flux-core wire? If
you're not already using it I'd suggest you try a smaller wire. If you're
using solid with shielding gas try .024 (or .023 or .025 depending on the
manufacturer). If you're using flux-core try .030.

If you're not using gas and the smaller wire you'll probably just make a
mess of anything thin but the .030 wire should at least help.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"The universe is full of magical things,
patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper."
-Eden Phillpotts, A Shadow Passes, 1934
"mike" wrote in message ...
I have an el-cheapo noname mig welder.
Has two settings,
16V 35A and 18V 70A.
I can manage to get thick metal stuck together,but it spits out way too
much wire for thin stuff,
like welding the thin tubing of my motorcycle mirror back onto the
mounting bolt...again...

If I turn down the wire feed speed, all I succeed in doing
is welding the wire to the end of the tip.
Sounds to me like I need less current so I can feed the wire
slower???yes???no??? Or is something horribly wrong with my
technique?

If I stick a resistor or inductor in the output, I'm no longer
constant voltage. So what is the recommended way to turn down
the heat?

I've got this 0-16VDC 40A power supply. Maybe I should just
hook it up in place of the welding transformer?

Suggestions? Other than spending big bux on a proper welder ;-)
I'm only going to weld small parts, so efficiency is not an issue.
thanks, mike

laptops and parts
4in/400Wout ham linear amp.
Honda CB-125S
400cc Dirt Bike 2003 miles $450
Police Scanner, Color LCD overhead projector
Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser