Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank K.

Default Is a jointer knife really just a jointer knife?

I recently purchased a 4 blade set of these along with a set
of cobalt replacement blades for my 20 inch G-1033 Grizzly
planer. I'm going to be getting a set for my 6 inch jointer
soon.

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2006/Main/55

Frank

"Jody" wrote in message
My Ridgid 6" jointer needs new knives, and I've never
replaced them
before. The Ridgid website is (was) a little hard for me
to navigate
in that respect, and amazon just has "six-inch jointer
knives." Are
they all more or less the same? Does anyone have good
stories about
customer and/or product service from a particular vendor?
I'm willing
to spend a little extra for a pleasant experience. I
just checked Ron
Hock's website, but he doesn't sell Normite stuff.
Bummer.

Also, is carbide worth the extra $$? At 3x the price,
will I get 3x
the performance? A related question--What's the
difference between
High Speed Steel (I'm guessing that's what HSS stands
for) and other
tool steels like A2 or D2 as it relates to woodworking
machinery?

Thanks, y'all.

-Phil Crow

I would just get a good set of steel knives. I have used
www.globaltooling.bizhosting.com and could not be more
happy with what I
got. They sure beat the price of the name brand knives.