Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default Tubing Benders? - Was (Double Flare Disaster)

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:58:54 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Rex B wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I told the kid to bite the bullet and buy a brand new preformed brake
line from a Honda dealer or see if he can get lucky at an auto
recycler. The original Honda tubing has a pretty heavy plastic
sheathing on it too, which looks like it's there to help avoid
corrosion, so it might be best to use that instead of naked steel
anyway.

OK, so Honda wants $77 for a preformed eggsack duplicate brake line
(If they can even deliver one.)

Even I'm not crazy enough to spend that for about 5 feet of 3/16" tubing.

So, we'll measure the required path length of the brake line with a
piece of #12 solid electrical wire and buy one of those premade
lengths of brake tubing with the double flares and fitting ends
already on it. If we have to buy one a little long we can pack the
excess somewhere with a U bend.

The only tubing benders I own are the coil spring kind, so we're going
to have to use another style of bender.

But, all the lever type benders I've found for sale so far seem to
start out with 1/4" tubing size and go up from there.

Izzat because you can do 3/16" steel tubing freehand down to about a
one inch radius bend without it kinking? Or is it maybe because you
can use the 1/4" mandrill on those lever type benders for 3/16" tubing
too?

I'd just as soon teach the kid to do things the *raht way* now, he'll
have plenty of opportunity to excercise creative butchery on his own
when he leaves the nest. G

Jeff
Unless you have some critical tight bends, all you need is your
hands. That tubing is designed to be hand-bendable. It will take a lot
of abuse before it kinks. And if it does, get another piece, call it a
$5 lesson about the limits of the tbing

Thanks, you prolly just saved me the $20 needed to buy a tool I have
gotten along this far without and may never have need for again.

I'd still bend it around a round object, though. Anything that's
handy. That way bending stress follows the curve with little or no
moment going to the already-bent part.