Posted to misc.consumers.house
Todd H.

Default Replace 1 SQ FT Of a Carpet...

"googler" writes:

Thanks Todd. I am new in the US. Should i approach Home depot to get a
good carpet guy? This is a carpet thats popular.I guess finding that
piece for me is not tough.

Home Depot unforutnately is overpriced for installed carpet. And
their lead times were crappy, and they wanted payment up front.

I was able to find a guy locally who installed carpet for about $2 per
square yard more than I can even buy crapier carpet bulk for home
depot.

If you know any realtors, or can befriend one, they tend to have leads
on independent carpet guys who don't have a ton of overhead, deal
directly with the carpet mill/warehouse, and can get things done
quickly.

If it's just that spot you need to replace though, the closet carpet
idea is a fabulous one. And I have to imagine there's a writeup
somewhere that shows how to do carpet seams. You can probably rent the
carpet iron and the sticky backing stuff from home depot, for
instance. Buy some cheap remnant carpet to practice on before trying
the patch repair yerself. And if you completely screw it up the
fallback is to get a carpet guy in to replace the carpet on the
stairs. You'd only be out the carpet iron rental fee and some of your
time.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.