Larry Jaques

Default Antique metal plating question

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 23:20:43 -0400, Helen Scarth
pixelated:

You collect old sewing machines? How fascinating. Tell us more. Do you
have a website?

Sorry, I should have included my URL - http://www.treadles.ca
Pre-1900 machines interest me the most. The machine in question is
almost identical to the other Model 12 machines on the Older Singers
page. The joy of collecting them is that, for the most part, they are
still functional and much more reliable than today's machines. My
everyday machine is a 1949 Singer and I wouldn't trade it for any
thousands of dollars machine made today, except to sell the new one to
buy more old ones.

Can you help me date an old machine I found? It's a Universal and
looks a lot like Mom's old Singer electric with its black cast iron
housing. It says "An International Product" but I can't find either
name (uni or int) in your listings. The bobbin/case style and other
clues make me believe it's a rebadged Singer Model 15. The tag between
the bobbin winder post and the stitch length regulator lever is gone
but the two rivets are still there. sigh Also, do you know where
I can find replacement feet for these or is it better to make our
own? I wanted to make/get one for wrapping the binding around the
foam core of the glare guards I make if I can't find a tailor shop
to make the next production run. Another one for making welting for
upholstery might be handy, too. Any tips?

They are still relatively inexpensive too. My Singer 12 treadle was

I found the old Universal machine, probably pre-WWII, at a garage sale
locally. After seeing the $5 price tag, I asked if it worked and
turned it by hand (Someone had kept it oiled!) and found that it did.
I learned how to sew on a machine last year by making my own shop
curtains (garage door window coverings) and hemming the 4' Walmart
curtains for the rest of this new (to me) house.

What the heck, a machine is a machine and I love 'em all, especially
the older ones. (I also have a 1920's Davis and Wells table saw.)

-
Gently-used Firestone tires for sale at discount!
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming