Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default How to make Oland tools ?

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:48:08 GMT, "Ken Moon" wrote:

Darrell,

Since you are the group guru on Oland tools, how many different grinds do
you use on your Oland bits? Also, do you normally use square tools bits like
metal working bits, or round bits made from drill rod? TIA

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Ken.. Darrell gave you the best possible answer, let me give ya the mickey mouse
way.. (my specialty for years)

My 2 favorite Oland type tools are 3/4" dia bolts, about a foot long, with 3/8"
holes drilled in the threaded end and a hole at a right angle to that one that's
threaded for a set screw...
Gives me a nice weight and feel and was very quick and inexpensive...

My reason for a round hole for the square peg, besides not being equipped to
drill a square hole in a bolt, is that the set screw sitting on the flat of one
side of the bit keeps it from rotating... since I grind the threads off of the
bolt and grind off excess thickness around the bit hole, i tend to orientate the
set screw in an "up" position and always put the bit in to fit that..

As to grind, I like to have several tips (cheap in bulk or from Harbor Freight)
available.. a few sharpened roughly as Darrell points out, but mostly I grind
whatever shape I want at the time for what I'm turning..
They're cheap and hold an edge well, so I might turn most of a box with a
rounded tip and then re-grind the tip to a flat skew or box scraper to finish
the inside of the box... YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing