Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Default Tubing Benders? - Was (Double Flare Disaster)

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I told the kid to bite the bullet and buy a brand new preformed brake
line from a Honda dealer or see if he can get lucky at an auto recycler.
The original Honda tubing has a pretty heavy plastic sheathing on it
too, which looks like it's there to help avoid corrosion, so it might be
best to use that instead of naked steel anyway.

OK, so Honda wants $77 for a preformed eggsack duplicate brake line (If
they can even deliver one.)

Even I'm not crazy enough to spend that for about 5 feet of 3/16" tubing.

So, we'll measure the required path length of the brake line with a
piece of #12 solid electrical wire and buy one of those premade lengths
of brake tubing with the double flares and fitting ends already on it.
If we have to buy one a little long we can pack the excess somewhere
with a U bend.

The only tubing benders I own are the coil spring kind, so we're going
to have to use another style of bender.

But, all the lever type benders I've found for sale so far seem to start
out with 1/4" tubing size and go up from there.

Izzat because you can do 3/16" steel tubing freehand down to about a one
inch radius bend without it kinking? Or is it maybe because you can use
the 1/4" mandrill on those lever type benders for 3/16" tubing too?

I'd just as soon teach the kid to do things the *raht way* now, he'll
have plenty of opportunity to excercise creative butchery on his own
when he leaves the nest. G

Thanks guys,

Jeff

--