Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is a jointer knife really just a jointer knife?

My Ridgid 6" jointer needs new knives, and I've never replaced them
before. The Ridgid website is (was) a little hard for me to navigate
in that respect, and amazon just has "six-inch jointer knives." Are
they all more or less the same? Does anyone have good stories about
customer and/or product service from a particular vendor? I'm willing
to spend a little extra for a pleasant experience. I just checked Ron
Hock's website, but he doesn't sell Normite stuff. Bummer.

Also, is carbide worth the extra $$? At 3x the price, will I get 3x
the performance? A related question--What's the difference between
High Speed Steel (I'm guessing that's what HSS stands for) and other
tool steels like A2 or D2 as it relates to woodworking machinery?

Thanks, y'all.

-Phil Crow