Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
billh

Default How to make Oland tools ?

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:

My question is how best to mount the HSS square bar lathe tooling. This
bar is square, yet most descriptions talk about drilling a hole and
clamping it with a grubscrew. A square hole ?

If you're not a fancy, well-equipped person with a broach or an EDM, a
plain old file does the job of getting from round to square, or
square-enough.

Is there any real advantage to using a grubscrew, rather than just
brazing the insert into place?

You can swap tips easily, with one handle.

I was told, but have never done it, that if you drill the hole ever so
slightly smaller than the tool bit, you can then drive a sacrificial one in
little by little and make square corners. I would think you would have to be
careful since the bits are hard and could break. I guess this is poor man's
broaching of sorts.

billh