Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Asbestos testing in NJ

If asbestos is indeed found what's the best way to address the
problem? Cover entire workshop floor with modern vinyl tiles?

Talk to a sales clerk at a flooring store. When we bought new vinyl
flooring, they just covered the old floor with a thin coat of some sort
of paste to make sure it was level. Then they cover it all with the new
vinyl flooring.

Reason? It is very hard to remove old flooring without damaging the
wood underneath. The old adhesive is very hard to remove, too. And
grinding it off creates a dusty and uneven mess.

The only disadvantage is that your floor is thicker. The installers
needed to adjust the bottoms of some of our doors. This is routine for
flooring jobs... at least it only took them part of a morning to
re-floor our kitchen.

We could have demanded that they remove the old flooring, but it costs a
lot more. Maybe 15 years from now...

Max