Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

Default Wiring question #2,719

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
At a friend's house, there's a covered box over a work bench, with a

really
fat wire going into it, nothing coming out. We suspect the previous owner
had some sort of 220v tools there, maybe. My friend would like a regular
110v outlet. The house was built around 1985. Am I correct in thinking

there
are two hot lines in there, and that I can pick off just one of them plus
neutral in order to get 110v? We're hoping to not have to run another line
back to the breaker box. What's the color arrangement for a 220v line,
assuming that's what's there? (Haven't gone in with a meter yet to

measure).

Really fat wire, I must have missed that stuff during my apprenticeship.

Not knowing how many conductors there are no one can answer you.

There is no color code, ESPECIALLY for residential.
Hots can be any color including white.