Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

Default Silver Solder - which one?

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
news
"jim rozen" wrote in message

But the brass rod sold at the hardware store can be used to
to flow out, but it has a wider eutectic range. It's easier to
hold the part such that you can build up large beads like you
mentioned. I've never found joints like that to be terribly
strong so I prefer to keep on going and flow it out more.

The difference is in degree only I would say.

And there are silver solders formulated to make a big fillet. You'll see
references to them in British publications from time to time. They've

been
used for building custom bicycles and even for building some race car
spaceframes.

I have some brand names here but I can't go looking for them.

--
Ed Huntress

Cool! Thanks to you and Jim for enlightening me. . My limited experience
with silver solder has never revealed the ability to build up a bead, or
filet. . I've always flowed it out well. What little I did accomplish
regards filets had a tendency to have serious shrinkage.

I hope you find what you need, Harold. BTW, in my experience, making a good
fillet with ordinary silver braze requires someone who really knows what
he's doing -- someone like Jim. I've had very little success with it. But I
have gotten good fillets with bronze (brass) brazing rod, with a little help
from my welding instructor.

--
Ed Huntress