Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Wiring question #2,719

Doug Kanter wrote:
At a friend's house, there's a covered box over a work bench, with a
really fat wire going into it, nothing coming out. We suspect the
previous owner had some sort of 220v tools there, maybe. My friend
would like a regular 110v outlet. The house was built around 1985. Am
I correct in thinking there are two hot lines in there, and that I
can pick off just one of them plus neutral in order to get 110v?
We're hoping to not have to run another line back to the breaker box.
What's the color arrangement for a 220v line, assuming that's what's
there? (Haven't gone in with a meter yet to measure).

I am very hesitant to suggest that you go ahead there. There are just
too many possible things you could run into to list them all here. If we
miss the wrong one, it could kill you or cause a fire. In this case I
suggest calling in a professional. This is a very easy job for them and
should result in the minimum bill. If it turns out to be more than the
minimum, then it is a good that you had the pro there.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit