Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

Default Hoo Ha - Lost Treasure Found, And More

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 15:37:26 -0500, (J T) wrote:

Sun, Jan 15, 2006, 9:59am (EST-3)

(mac*davis) doth remindeth me:
snip Same goes for mortars... people think that they explode out of
the tube AND when they hit... that would be a neat trick.

Oh, I don't know. LOL I was driving past an infantry outpst
somewhere between Anh Khe and Pleiku, when a 4.2" went off. Startled
the Hell out of me, and I proceeded to slam on the brakes. My boss,
very patronizingly says, "Don't worry, they're not shooting at us". I
just looked at him, and said, "I 'know' that, but I want to see where'
they're shooting before I go further". Took a few seconds for it to
sink in for him, and by that time the round had hit, a mile or so, to
our left. We then, speedily, went on. LMAO

Another time, we had radio traffic saying a bridge outpost was
being hit a mile or so down the road from us - rockets, small arms,
mortars. I wasn't driving this time. We pulled over in a pump station
to wait it all out. Then the LTC got antsy, probably with visitions of
a Meal of Honor, or at least a Silver Star, and told the driver to
proceed. All this with the bridge still under attack. And, me in the
back, saying the standard mantra to the War Gods, "Oh, ****, this
idiot's gonna get me killed". "Oh, ****, this idiot's gonna get me
killed". "Oh, ****, this idiot's gonna get me killed". Luckily the
driver wasn't in any great hurry, the LTC didn't get on him to go
faster, and it was all over before we got. Fortunately, the War Gods
answered my praryer. LMAO May the Gods protect us from the Custers in
our lives.

I suspect that those who survived are the ones who retired and now are
those who slow down and stop while in the fast lane to observe the accident
on the oncoming side of the road.