Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

Default Silver Solder - which one?

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
snip---

You've been working with metal longer than I have, and I'm an amateur
at metal while you are a pro. I'll bet I could learn a lot as an
apprentice in your shop and I bet I'd enjoy doing so though I strongly
doubt you'd tolerate my retired-ass appetite for work or hours.

Hours? Like late night?

If you only knew! g

We generally get to bed well after 4:00 AM. When I was actively
machining, my best hours were late night/ early morning.

I'll still brashly note what I've learned, or think I've learned,
about the subject at hand.

-------snip lots of good stuff---

The low-temp materials are not regarded as silversolder but rather as
silver-bearing solder May seem like a nit, but big difference.
Sticking stuff together with silver-bearing solders at below 800 F is
definitely soldering, but silver-brazing at temps above 800F is also
often referred to as silversoldering -- and the materials used to do
that are often referred to as silversolders.

The remaining sanity in this mishmash is that soldering with
lower-temp silver-bearing solders is very seldom regarded as
silversoldering. It's just soldering with an alloy that contains a
bit of silver.

Yep! Hardly the same thing.

As I noted elsewhere, the one big difference between soldering and brazing
(each "one and the same") is silver solder's limited ability to fill gaps
and build beads. Don't know that it makes much difference in terminology,
but it sure does when you're the guy trying to build a filet with silver
solder, or bridge the gap when you screwed up on one of the components.

From all appearances, the terminology on this subject has been blurred for
years. I have in my possession a large coil of 1/16" silver "solder", tag
still intact, which clearly states that the product is "A low temperature
brazing alloy". It's 54% silver, according to the tag. Bottom of the
tag says United Wire & Supply Corp. Providence, 7, R.I. Providence
*7*?

We were all pups when this stuff hit the market.

Harold