Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

Default Number of sink bowls?

"Geoffrey" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 16:08:39 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
.. .
Lobster typed

Plastic washing up bowls scratch the sink

?? more than all the metal washing-up bouncing round in the bottom of
the sink?

David

It's not the plastic itself. If, for example, you wash muddy spuds in a
plastic bowl and then wash out the bowl, soil and grit will line the
sink and get ground into the sink surface when the washing-up bowl is
next filled.

Well, perhaps, but does it matter?

That depends on two things:

A - do you care if your kitchen sink always looks dirty?

puzzled

It doesn't ...

and

B - do you enjoy cleaning?

It IS satisfying, but I only need to give a quick wipe round the sink once a
day - unless he's been cleaning paint brushes or the like :-)

An unscratched sink can be cleaned with just a wipe. A scratched sink
needs cleaning and often bleaching.

Bleaching? Oh come on!

Our sink was second hand when we got it, in the 1970s. It's stainless steel,
substantial and has a draner at each side. This was in the days before 1
1/2sinks, which I could never understand so haven't been tempted to replace
it. If it ain't broke ... I like a capacious sink in which I can clean 30lb
honey buckets, fill watering cans (before we fitted an outside tap and then
installed butts), I sometimes like to hand wash large woollen items in the
sink and it works well for that. Occasionally I need to gut a hare or skin a
duck over the sink, modern ones aren't big enough to catch the debris. If I
need to clean a large piece of timber, plastic or metal I need space.

Something I intensely dislike about many modern sinks is that they're 'set
in' counter tops rather than being integral with the drainers. That means
that you have to lean further over to use them, which would be bad for my
back and, I suggest, most people's.

I hate housework but I like a clean kitchen, therefore I would never
have a plastic bowl in the sink.

I don't think a plastic bowl isn't clean. Modern onesare extremely easy to
keep clean with just a wipe.

All that quite apart from the fact that it looks really naff...

Well, I have more important and indeed interesting things to look at than my
sink :-)

I've just re-read the body of the postabove andrealise that the subjectwasa
plasticsing.

Well, they ARE awful and scratch easily and perhaps DO need bleaching, I
wouldn't give one houseroom. We don't even have them in the caravans or
tent.

I apologise for misunderstanding.

Mary