Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

Default Number of sink bowls?

wrote in message
ups.com...

Lobster wrote:

wrote:

I'm planning a new kitchen which, amongst other stuff, will
involve
buying a new sink. The trouble is, I'm not sure if it would be
best to
go for a larger single bowled sink or for the one and a half bowl
option. Does anyone here have any strong feelings/recommendations
either way?

I can't see the point of a 1.5 bowled one myself: if you wash up
using a
plastic washig up bowl inside the sink, you can still pour slops
etc
down the sink outside the washing up bowl if you need to!

One time when I do think it would be a really good idea is if you
have a
waste disposal gobbler thingy installed below the half-sink,
though.
I always thought that was the main reason for the half-sink?

David

Thanks for the input (and to everyone else who replied) but I can't
get
on with plastic washing up bowls - I usually find that they take up
so
much of the sink that it's impossible to empty nasty stuff down the
outside without some of it going in the washing up water and rinsing
is
a nightmare, too, as the run-off inevitably goes into the bowl
(unless
you're more careful than I care to be when doing the washing up),
meaning that the washing water gets too diluted to finish a load
without having to empty and top it up again. I also hate the way the
bowl hangs around the place when not in use, getting in the way when
you're trying to drain spuds, etc.

Besides, didn't that E-Coli professor person (Hugh Pennington?) come
out a few years ago, saying they were breeding grounds for nasty
bugs?
Or was that just if you didn't rinse your dishes after washing them?

Saying all that, I did like Brian's tip about getting an extra big
plastic bowl for the occasional monster items - I think I had heard
something about the Lakeland one but I thought it would be too big
fit under standard taps and you would end up either emptying it over
the kitchen floor when trying to empty it, or having to use it in
the
back garden.

Cheers

Helen

The Lakeland big plastic bowl can be found on;-
http://www.lakelandlimited.co.uk/product.aspx/solutions/kitchencleanup!20228

I haven't got it out of the garage to check - but it's about
four inches deep.
The URL gives 21+3/4 " x 15+3/4" but doesn't give a depth.
It helps when doing racks etc. because one can keep the rack
submerged. When attempting to clean such items in the sink
before acquiring it one has to do the racks as 'a game of two halves'.
I've never had any problem ;-
AAA balancing it over the 1+1/2 sink;
BBB filling it from the taps;
CCC (carefully) emptuing the water into the sink bowl.

HTH

--

Brian