Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C

Default having trouble finding correct stain

On 14 Jan 2006 06:22:58 -0800, "new to diy"
wrote:

Excellent, thanks Rick, that's what I wanted to find out, what the
trade use.

Seconded for Sikkens. I've had good results using Sikkens Cetol HLS
Teak on everything from decking to shelves.

A couple of things that I found:

a) If using it out of the tin the bit at the bottom can get a bit
thicker and so give a darker coat. So it may be best to spoon out what
you need into another tin to minimise this.

b) Any rough areas or fuzz on the wood will attract more pigment and
so look more noticable. So it's best to sand everything really smooth,
or even scrape the wood carefully with a razor sharp scraper (the
scraper will remove sanding fuzz quite easily).

To get a good match I'd try varying the number of coats, using
different coats of different colours, or even mixing small samples of
different colours together. Lots of samples on similar wood would be
the way to go.

cheers,
Pete.