Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Default Electrical problems at home related to RPC -- UPDATE

Ignoramus22325 wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 03:33:57 +0000, Ian Malcolm wrote:
Nearly everyone was concentrating on insulating the tool, not on
protecting Iggy. IMHO he needs to do *BOTH* so that if something goes
wrong, he's got a chance to come back and tell us how he *nearly* had a
bad accident, rather than the alternative.

We must presume that he has enough sense to not try this while standing
barefoot in a puddle, after all he hasn't killed himself with his RPC or
welder yet.

Pete C.

Well he's gone and done it without running into any trouble, thankfully.

Its been an interesting discussion. Thank you.

Thanks guys. I retightened the screws (without trying to apply too
much force). To my slight surprise and delight, the RPC does not seem
to cause the UPS supplying the TV to turn off anymore. My wife says
that lights darken a lot less now. And that is without any extra
capacitors etc. These turnoffs were a little intermittent, so I am
reluctant to announce complete victory.

I am quite happy and thankful to all for your suggestions.

Like I said earlier, I held the L shaped allen wrench with linesman
pliers with insulated handles, to avoid being electrocuted.

It was probably a function of coinciding with other large loads like an
electric stove or clothes dryer. I guess you don't have voltage drop
readings from before and after, but since the UPS should be trying to
switch at a specific voltage you may have reduced the drop enough to
miss that threshold. Of course the regulator down the street somewhere
could have been adjusted or drifted slightly higher as well.

Pete C.