Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

Default Number of sink bowls?

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
In article . com,
writes:
Hello,

I'm planning a new kitchen which, amongst other stuff, will involve
buying a new sink. The trouble is, I'm not sure if it would be best
go for a larger single bowled sink or for the one and a half bowl
option. Does anyone here have any strong feelings/recommendations
either way?

Definately suggest one and a half bowl option. You can still
pour something nasty down the sink when one bowl is in use.

Concur! You can also 'rinse' with the 1/2 bowl while
hot sudsy water remains in the large bowl. I utilise the
1/2 bowl when hand-washing fragile stemmed wine-glasses.

At the moment I'm washing dishes by hand, which is easier with the
1.5
option but in the new kitchen I'll have a dishwasher, so I should
only
occasionally have to wash things by hand and by definition, they'll
probably be large things such as grill pans and oven bits that
won't
fit in the dishwasher.

My experience is that one 'needs' to finish-off many things
after the dishwasher. It's never hard work, but I don't know who
that girl is on the dishwasher tablet adverts who puts a manky
casserole dish into the dishwasher and extracts a gleaming
mirror finsh squeaky clean dish!

For washing oven racks etc, I 've finished up buying a
Lakeland Plastics big blue 'oven rack washing bowl'.
Lakeland sized it after a customer-survey into 'how
big is your widest grill pan/oven rack?' exercise.
It mostly sits out in the garage being deployed when needed.
I just plonk it on top of the sink under the taps and discharge
the water into the sink.
In other words - you don't necessarily need to size the sink
to accomodate the largest item you're likely to wash.

That makes me think the single bowl might be
best but I can't help thinking that there are probably other
occasions
when having two bowls available would be useful...

Whatever you decide; make certain that the tap design
permits you to get a finger cum cleaner around the base of
the pillar -and behind! One installation -since discarded-
had the tap controls right at the bottom of the pillar - it was
impossible to clean. Water drip would evaporate leaving a
limescale deposit. I used to soak it with vinegar, limescale remover
whatever .... the replacement has the taps above the
pillar base enabling a scourer to get right around the
pillar /sink interface.

HTH

--

Brian