Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Default Inserts Tooling - Why Not For Wood?

We call them inserted tip tools or Oland tools after Knud Oland who was an
advocate for their use back in the 1970's. The use of x-y vises is
counterproductive for wood turning except in the hands of someone like
Michelle Holtzappfel who is a law unto herself when it comes to using a
metal lathe for wood. Carbide is brittle for wood use and does not sharpen
as well as high speed steel but may have a place for roughing work. Take a
look at my web site for info on the use of Oland tools.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate