Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b

Default Inserts Tooling - Why Not For Wood?

Going through the Airgas - Rutland Tool catalogue looking for
end mills for cutting mortises, I come upon page after page
after page of "Insert Tooling" "Inserts". There are carbide
cutters in more shapes than you can shake a stick at and tool
holders for all kinds of uses. To top it off, much of this stuff
is relatively inexpensive - I mean relative to the price of
some of the "signature" gouges in the wood turning catalogues.

Now I understand that many turning tools are very versatile
-because they can be rolled and angled while making a cut
to create a range of shapes. But for roughing to round or
boring to hollow something out carbide would stay sharp
a LOT longer than HSS and with an isocoles triangle "insert",
chaning to a new sharp edge takes only a minute or so and
you're back at the wood creating chips and curlies.

And while on the topic of transfering technology -
why aren't there tool holders for insert tooling
available for wood turning lathes? A round rod
that'll fit the "banjo" hole, a tool holder that
can be bolted to it and you're almost in business.
You still need something to move the cutter to
the wood - but XY vises are out there in the
$50-$60 US range.

Why is the wood turning technology still back in the
mid point of the Industrial Revolution? Or is that
the charm of it?

Just something to think about.

charlie b

ps - you might give Airgas a call and see if
they'll send you a catalogue or have a
look at their website
www.airgas.com