Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Default Met my Match - (Double Flare Disaster)

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

Only good double flaring tool will be an antique... The new stuff is
all junk - the little inserts do not fit the inside of the tubing good
enough to prevent wobble and "canted" flares. I tried one - returned
it, ended up doing just single flares as I could not find a double
tool that would work. I guess a guy could make a few "inserts" to fit
properly. (this would also probably stop the "slipping" problem as
the inside of the tubing would be supported during the clamping
process. HTH
Ken.

Except the "insert" is not where the metal is clamped. If it was, it
could not move, and you could not flare the tube.
I sure hope that single flare was NOT on a brake line!!!!!!!!!

And, to add a bit more insult to injury, the insert's peg must be
smaller than the ID of the tubing else you couldn't very well form that
first stage "hollow point bullet" shape with it, 'eh?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)