Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

Default The Look What I Can Do Trap

there is another MAJOR trap specifically for turners - "Thin is Good"
- so if I can turn a transparent 1/6 inch walled 18 inch diameter
vessel that is great. WRONG - it turns out that I can do that, and
that I did it, but the result is only of interest to other turners
-the form is too light, the transparency is not helpful to the shape,
and it is therefore not a success - the same form with a bit more mass
would have been better. So, thin is a sign that you have mastered a
particular technical skill, it is not a sign of a good design.

my 2 cents

bill

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 01:11:04 -0800, charlie b
wrote:

The Look What I Can Do Trap

James Krenov, a cabinetmaker, determines when a piece is done when
there’s nothing more to remove in order to improve the design. His
pieces are crisp, clean and apparently simple - no trim, no molding, no
decorative overlays, no carved shells, no inlays, no fancy hardware.
Clean and simple. Easy, nothing to it right? Until you look more
closely and think about it a little. There’s no place to hide - a
mistake, an uneven edge, a straight line that isn’t, one of a dozen
dovetails that isn’t quite right. Everything has to be as close to
perfect as possible - or it shows - and detracts significantly from the
piece.

Have you found other “traps”?

charlie b

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com