Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

Default The Look What I Can Do Trap

"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

"charlie b" wrote: His pieces are crisp, clean and apparently simple
(clip) There's no place to hide - a
mistake(clip)shows - and detracts significantly from the piece.

This is a real insight, that I cannot recall seeing discussed before.
I'd like to add another thought. The complexity of a piece may be a
way of covering mistakes--it may also be a way of distracting the
viewer from seeing that it is a poor design. A simple pen drawing can
often say more than a complexly done oil painting. None of Vivaldi's
compositions is as beautiful to me as "Amazing Grace." Less is more.

Much of the adornment on furniture is there precisely to cover joints - ill
fitting or otherwise - and to cover for wood movement. Same thing on a
larger scale with houses and molding.