Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Kelley Mascher

Default Electrical problems at home related to RPC

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 19:00:33 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

A pair of rubber/nitrile/latex gloves and a length of shrink
tubing on the allen wrench should do the trick, eh?

My parents' house in LoCal had some lights doing that and I
never did check the panel. I pulled the outlets and checked
them for tightness but didn't follow them back to the source.
The panel was outside locked up somewhere. Maybe I was afraid
because I knew it was one of those lovely aluminum jobs...

I used to have to regularly tie in hot to service entrances. This is
what I used. Take two hex wrenches the proper size and estimate
(slightly over-estimate) the length that will fit in to the bottom of
the screw. Anything that won't fit in the screw gets a covering of no
less than two layers of electrical tape and a layer of friction tape.
One wrench has the short end exposed and the other has the long end
exposed. The unused end should be extra well covered since this is the
end where the tape will wear first.

I like dry leather gloves since stray stranded wires won't puncture
them and I never worked on anything over 220VAC. And yes, there
shouldn't be any stray strands exposed in service entrance but ...

Cheers,

Kelley