Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help, trying to sell and I feel like there's a rat....

"24. Edwin Pawlowski Jan 13, 1:58 pm

"There was no contract signed from what was posted. The buyer made an
offer
not yet accepted. "

I'd have to disagree with that. Not only is it normal practice to have
a signed contract before the inspection, but it's clear from the OP
that they did in fact have a signed contract:

"The next day, this woman shows up at
the house with her agent (her son) and makes an offer on the spot.
Ironically, this buyer's middle name is Pat and she just sold her house

in *gasp* Idaho. She and her son write up an offer that night. First
off, she low balls me 5K off of the asking price, which is fine. I
countered and met her halfway at 267K and she immediately accepted.
She schedules her home inspection immediately, within 24 hours... "

A buyer would be crazy to spend $500 for a home inspection without
having a signed contract that spells out the inspection contigency,
timeframes, etc. They could spend the money and have another buyer
show up, offer a little more, and be out the $500.

"The OP said she never saw leaks. Maybe they exist in the inspector's
imagination. Gain, depends on what you expect and are willing to pay
for wh
at you get. "

Yeah, maybe the inspector is a total fraud. But it's more likely the
homeowner never crawled under the place to look, isn't it? Everyone of
those things is common to find and can't usually be seen without an
inspection.

"Electrical wires don't go into junction boxes. Only the ends to be
connected
do. No, it is not clear. Could well be some UF wire running exposed
that
they want in conduit and that is NOT a code requirement. "

A conduit isn't a junction box. I don;t think an inspector would say
junction box if he meant conduit. Again, it's common for half assed
homeowner repairs to be done joining some wires together with wire nuts
and leaving them hanging somewhere. And that is a code violation and
safety hazhard.

But what I don;t get is the idea that the seller should just put up
with this stuff. The contract called for an inspection. It was done.
Now they have to negotiate how to resolve the defects found, which is
just part of the process. Most times people here are bitching cause
they didn't do an inspection or they had an incompetent inspector who
missed defects. For the buyer to expect most of this stuff to be
fixed or given credit for is not unreasonable at all. A year ago, you
could probably tell a buyer to take it or leave it. But if I was under
contract to buy a new house like the OP, I'd sure think twice before I
tell a buyer to get lost over a list, that with one exception, can be
fixed for maybe a thousand bucks.