Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help, trying to sell and I feel like there's a rat....

27. Jim McLaughlin Jan 13, 12:33 pm

"I'd tell the prospective buyer who made the offer that there will be
zero
repairs for her, and that she can take the house "as is" or take a
hike. "

Another man of principle, that would let a deal that's in the bag go
down the drain and start all over with a new buyer, who's very likley
gonna find the same obvious and legitimate items. You couldn't even
get a CO in most places for this house if the town inspector knew there
were leaking drain pipes, water pipes, electrical junctions exposed,
etc.

"If the prospective buyer takes a hike, I'd make all the repairs
except the
foundation stuff (all of it except the foundation stuff is "Harry
Homeowner"
stuff), and add the cost of repair plus 20% of the repair cost to the
asking
price, and re list the house at the higher price. "

That's swell, but the price of the house is gonna be set by the free
market, not what it cost you to do repairs now that should have been
done a long time ago. Raising the asking price while the seller has
another house they are buying on contigency doesn't sound like a very
good idea to me.