Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

Default The Look What I Can Do Trap

"charlie b" wrote: His pieces are crisp, clean and apparently simple
(clip) There's no place to hide - a
mistake(clip)shows - and detracts significantly from the piece.

This is a real insight, that I cannot recall seeing discussed before. I'd
like to add another thought. The complexity of a piece may be a way of
covering mistakes--it may also be a way of distracting the viewer from
seeing that it is a poor design. A simple pen drawing can often say more
than a complexly done oil painting. None of Vivaldi's compositions is as
beautiful to me as "Amazing Grace." Less is more.