Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Asbestos testing in NJ

"An asbestos abatement company can test it for her. "

I'd much rather send a sample myself to a lab that has no vested
interest in
abatement. That is the legitimate question she was asking.
It's certainly not unheard of for companies to find problems to
fix that don't exist. That is the legitimate question she was asking.

"If they come out and take
a sample to their lab, and it isn't asbestos, then she has documented
proof.
If it is, and she covers it up, and goes to sell the place, she'll have
disclose it to a buyer, and they will most likely want it removed. If
it's
asbestos, she should not cover it up. "

Do you know what asbestos abatement companies do in many cases? They
don't
necessarily remove asbestos. In many cases they simply encapsulate
asbestos
that is there so that it can't come loose and enter the air. Covering
an existing floor
does exactly that. And if she does that, it's not clear to me that
she needs to
disclose anything to a future buyer.