Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leif Thorvaldson

Default Scented LDD use

On 12 Jan 2006 07:16:59 -0800, wrote:

I have been wanting to try Using LDD as a method for curing my
green wood however I can only find scented LDD locally. This is
usually a lemon scent. Most references have been to buying it at COSCO
but that is a three hour drive from where I live so I would rather not
do that. My question is what are the sources or brand names of
unscented LDD or will the scenting affect the process? I am also
wondering if the LDD is suitable for treating items used for food
handling?

Rod

Hi, Rod. What's a three hour drive (roundtrip?) for procuring turning
materials and tools! Tsk, tsk! *G* Haven't a clue as to names of
other LDDs, much less an unscented one. However, try the scented one.
For certain use the honey or blondish colored ones, as noted above.
Doubt there will be much scent lingering by the time the object is
turned, sanded and a finish put on it. There won't be any problem
from the tiny bit of LDD that will remain as to using food items in
the bowl. As a matter of fact, unless you are using creosote for your
final finish, food contamination by the finish shouldn't be a problem
in most of your finishes, as long as they are thoroughly dried. HTH,

Leif