Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

Default Met my Match - (Double Flare Disaster)

On 12 Jan 2006 17:15:25 -0800, wrote:

FWIW, the last time I had any need to double flair was about 20 yrs ago
when I was rebuilding an old XKE. I don't remember ANY problems, but I
had an American made flair kit. I still have it some where out in the
shop. Think I might have to go out and dig it up and see what brand it
was just out ot curiosity.
Bill.

And on an "E" type you didn't double flare - you bell (or bubble)
flared, if my memory serves me correctly. The double flair kit I used
for many years was a "blue point" made in the late forties.It did
single, "bubble", and double flares.

I think the tools from Inlinetube.com are likely of pretty decent
quality.
The KD2190 is a good heavy duty unit, with a price to match.
A Rothenberger set will serve you well too, but IIRC they are also
pretty pricey.They are used by a lot of AC and refrigeration guys -
might not work well on hard (like stainless) lines.
If you need to make a couple hundred, get a Samson 800.