Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Met my Match - (Double Flare Disaster)

In , on 01/12/06
at 12:55 PM, "its me" said:

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

SNIP
No matter how hard I tightened the clamping screws, even using some
leverage on them, the tubing slipped through that #$%^$#@ clamp every time
I tried to make the first stage flare. I cut back the tubing a couple of
times after a failed try, thinking a fresh start would help. I even tried
degreasing the tubing and the tool's jaws with acetone. That didn't work
either. (This morning I thought that maybe I should have tried putting a
little emery powder in the jaws, but I'm keeping my hands off that project
until I get over tha agony of defeat.)

I had to use one of these imported POS flaring tools to make several double
flares and I had the same problem with the tubing not being clamped
properly. In desperation I used a Vicegrip pliers to assist in clamping the
tube. It worked but what a pain in the a**. Try as I might to find an
American made or other quality flaring tool in our town of three hardware
and three auto part stores was to no avail. I was told that no one would buy
them if they would stock a quality tool.
Steve

I think these cheapo tools are designed only for copper pipes. Yeah - I
had the same problem, only I was trying to use the tool on a brakeline in
the car! The line would have been a pig to disconnect from the master
cylinder, so I cut the line & replaced the corroded section. It was (when
are they not?) a rush job , so HAD to be done that night. After about 5
attempts & trying to anneal the pipe end, all of which failed misreably, I
was running short of room to fit the tool on the pipe, so something had to
be done.
I ended up by cutting a small piece of 600 grit wet & dry exactly to the
circumference of the pipe. Sandwiching this (grit side toward the pipe)
inside the clamp jaws enabled me to do the flare first try.