Posted to alt.home.repair
spudnuty

Default crimp connections for 110v wiring

Bud-- wrote:
Doug Kanter wrote:
"Bud--" wrote in message
.. .

Doug Kanter wrote:

Source for the right connectors:
http://www.panduit.com/products/browse.asp?classid=1037

You'll have to jump through a few hoops to find a dealer, but it's worth
the trouble.

Other considerations

Are they UL listed? This some indication of suitability and is required
for NEC wiring. A very limited perusal of Panduit didn't find UL listing.

Are they listed for solid wire or just stranded? Not an issue if you are
using just stranded. Some Panduit crimps are just for stranded. I have had
bad luck crimping #14 and larger solid.

As referenced by another post will they be used at high temperature. There
are nickle alloy crimps for high temp.

bud--

Take a look at each product individually. For instance:
http://www.panduit.com/search/produc...Name=BSN10%2DD

Yes, that covers UL. No mention of solid or stranded - are all in that
set good for solid wire? What is your experience crimping #12 and #10 solid?

They're also approved for home wiring in many locales. Most people don't
ask, though, so they're not aware of it.

I don't remember any NEC restriction on wire connection devices for
general wiring other than they be UL listed (actually listed as
conforming to a UL standard). If listed and used within their ratings
crimps should be acceptable to the NEC. Presumably to comply with the
listing you have to use a manufacturer recommended tool.

bud--

Where I am special crimp connections are required by code for making
Al-Cu connections. However the equipment is so expensive no one stocks
it or rents it.
Richard