Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn

Default Electrical problems at home related to RPC

"Ignoramus18851" wrote in message
On 12 Jan 2006 12:12:13 -0800, jim rozen wrote:
In article , Ignoramus18851
says...

There are some intermittent problems at home related to me starting my
RPC.

Large rotary converters will draw large currents during startup
unless spun to speed first. Consider a pony motor.

Thanks Jim, I will think in that direction if I cannot do anything
else.

Also be sure your neutral at the panelboard isn't getting
loose. Strange things can happen if this occurs.

My motor is 240v, but yes, loose connections could account for it. I
feel that it is unlikely to be an issue, but I will check that in any
case.

Don't overlook the incoming power feed. Those crimp connections the power
company uses ar pretty good but they do fail over the years. I have had
several problems very much like Iggy's and they were corrected by the power
company fixing their lines. You can usually see signs of a problem on the
connections insulation. One place you could see blue arcing at night when
the electric furnace kicked in! Wind storms would turn the TV on and off
and fried a microwave oven.

And just for the record, I have enjoyed your trials and tribulations with
your various projects. Keep us posted please

Glenn