Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

Default Met my Match - (Double Flare Disaster)

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
The tool looked brand new, but had the earmarks of being a cheap import.
There was no recognizable brand name on it or it's spotlessly clean red
plastic box, and no instruction sheet with it. But it looked just like
the tool I remembered making double flares with a long time ago.

I sure can't see your double flaring tool, but the Taiwanese single flaring
tool I have has an eccentric bolt on the handle pivot. There's a roller on
the handle that closes the dies. Adjusting the eccentric bolt determines how
much clamping pressure is put on the dies. Maybe just a tweak with a wrench
might have got the borrowed tool working.
No matter how hard I tightened the clamping screws,

Nevermind said Roseanne roseanna-danna. you had a different type of tool.

I told the kid to bite the bullet and buy a brand new preformed brake
line from a Honda dealer or see if he can get lucky at an auto recycler.
The original Honda tubing has a pretty heavy plastic sheathing on it
too, which looks like it's there to help avoid corrosion, so it might be
best to use that instead of naked steel anyway

..
I would have politely told the guys at Auto-Zone what a POS tool it was and
asked for a good one. I have used their tools several times and really like
this service. If they didn't have one I would have spent the bucks on a good
quality tool rather than a factory part.
Tom

Thanks guys,

Jeff
--