DoN. Nichols

Default Boring or Drilling Hard Jaws

In article ,
michael wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

In article ,
michael wrote:
David Heidary wrote:

I have a 4" 3-jaw chuck model 270-4072 from Enco. Their ad on page 158
of the catalog says that it has semi steel body and one piece hard
solid reversible jaws. This is a Chinese made chuck and came with two
sets of jaws.

[ ... ]

If you have 2 sets of jaws, 1 for OD and 1 for ID, then those bolt on

[ ... ]

Note that his description said "one piece hard solid reversible
jaws", so he does not have the bolt-on ones. Essentially, what he has
is two sets of jaws extending from the scroll teeth up to the stepped
jaws. One ID-gripping set, and one OD-gripping set.

[ ... ]

Just the 2 sets of jaws made me think otherwise. With an ID set and OD set, why
reversable?

I think that it is a case of poor machining English skills on
the part of whoever wrote the ad copy for the chuck. :-)

I do have some truly reversible one-piece jaws on chucks. The
Unimat SL-1000, and the early 3-jaw chuck for the Compact-5/CNC.
Instead of the scroll teeth looking like this (bottom view):

[ (( (( (( (( (( ]

They look like this:

Resulting in less bearing surface when the chuck's scroll is forcing the
jaws outward.

If reversable, just need one set. Whatever, I agree it is time to
shop for a proper jaw set, or better, a real chuck.

Agreed.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564