Posted to alt.home.repair
Joshua Putnam

Default crimp connections for 110v wiring

In article ,
says...
What's wrong with wirenuts? They are about the easiest things to use
of anything. I would NOT use crimp conns. on household wiring. They
are made for automotive and other low voltage use, and in all honesty,
they are crappy for that use. When I wire something in my car, I use
small wirenuts. They are easier to install, cheaper, and less prone
to corrosion. I like to fill the open ends of wirenuts used on a car
with clear silicone to keep water out. I really do not understand why
you want to use cromps on home wiring, and additionally, I doubt they
are legal according to the code. Use what the code says. If you use
crimps and have a fire, your insurance might be rejected fro having
non-standard non-approved wiring.

Crimped connections certainly are code-approved most places, they're
UL listed, CSA approved, etc. They take up less space than a wire
nut, and when they're done right they're more vibration resistant.
They're available insulated (commonly 600V rating) or bare metal,
commonly copper.

I can't think of any good reason not to use properly-installed crimp
connectors for household wiring, except perhaps on fixtures that are
likely to be replaced somewhat frequently. I certainly wouldn't
worry about homeowner's insurance objecting to code-compliant crimped
connections.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/