Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Name

Default Cheap drill bits vs good once

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ups.com...
""I was at Sears yesterday and saw some one set of HSS drill bits
(little red
plastic case) on sale that sade made in the USA. The newer version
said
made in China. The Cobalt and Titanium ones said made in the USA of
USA and
import parts. I am hoping it's the case that is made elsewhere.

Thanks for the suggestion, as I was going to buy the $60 set of HSS
Steel
bits, but no more.

Thanks!! "

Sounds like the arrangement I found...Sears is discontinuing the one
set of HS drills and replacing them with Chinese bits that apparently
at not HSS...at least they were not marked as such and from my tests
were not comparable to the older discontinued set.

The cobalt and titanium sets were noted as USA made.

FYI...I got my sets for $1 each AND 20% off that...a very good
price....I bought every set they had.

TMT

They had a lot of the little 10 piece and 13 piece kits before Christmas.
The one ten piece set I saw the other day was $8.97. The 13 piece kits
around Christmas were about $10, I think. If I had known the difference, I
would have just bought the little kits to have SOME decent smaller sized
bits. I don't remember seeing anything about HSS on the 21 piece kit I was
looking at (newer style, no 29 piece kit in stock, and I am thankful they
didn't, or I would have bought it).

I bought one 5/8" cobalt drill bit a little over a year ago. After using
POS bits my whole life (and a few single bit Titaanium Craftsman bit
purchases in the last couple of years), I finally found out a difference in
quality!

I would have bought every set they had at that price, too! You will always
need some, and you will never be ableto find them any cheaper, so why not
buy them out? :-)

Thanks.