Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

Default What Exactly IS a "Hybrid" table saw?

"JJ" wrote in message
Charles Self wrote:
"JJ" wrote in message

I see every manufacturer is coming out with "Hybrid" tablesaws. Is this
just a contractor saw with a closed base? Do you align it by whacking the
trunnions (like a contractor saw) or by adjusting the table (like a
cabinet saw)? Is there an advantage to the owning one of these?

I did this once and my damned mouse twitched, so let's try again.

The hybrid table saw offers some advantages, and one disadvantage, in
relation to contractor's saw. Make that two disadvantages: it also costs
more. It is heavier and hard to move. Otherwise, the hybrid has 1-1/2 to
1-3/4 HP, usually, an enclosed motor, and at least a partially enclosed
base (the Craftsman models include one that has a completely enclosed
base, but the first hybrid, the DeWalt, still offers only a half enclosed
base, as does the Jet). The top is adjusted like that on a cabinet saw,
not like that on a contractor's saw. This combines with the slightly
smaller footprint and the greater weight to be major advantages. And yes,
I do remember that I noted above that the heavier weight is a
disadvantage in relation to contractor's saws. Think about it for a bit.

The enclosed or partially enclosed base means the saw MUST have a TEFC
motor, but it also means that dust collection can be a lot more efficient
than it is on any contractor's saw.

I've got the Craftsman top of the line, and am very satisfied with it.
The Biesemeyer fence helps a great deal. I'm told that most of the people
who worked on the Craftsman design used to work for Delta, and the saw
shows it. Even the Unisaw table insert fits.

If you decide to get one, compare features carefully, because where there
used to be one, there are about seven at this time.

Charles,

What is the model number of your Craftsman hybrid? Is it a OR35504? I have
a chance to pick up a slightly used one (offered for $750). It has the
extended warranty still on it through Jan, 2010. If he yakes $700, would
this be a good deal?

I don't know what the model number is: it is, or was, the top of the line
model when it came out, and has the Biesemeyer fence. I don't think the line
has changed, but this AT&T set up makes it difficult to check. I'll try.

Yes, that's the correct model number. Much depends on the condition, but for
one in excellent shape with the extended warranty, I'd say $700 is a fair
price.

It's a good saw, more than enough for 99.7% of hobbyists need, unless they
get into cutting a lot of 8/4 and up oak, maple and hickory. The Leitz blade
it comes with is good, too.