michael

Default Boring or Drilling Hard Jaws

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

In article ,
michael wrote:
David Heidary wrote:

I have a 4" 3-jaw chuck model 270-4072 from Enco. Their ad on page 158
of the catalog says that it has semi steel body and one piece hard
solid reversible jaws. This is a Chinese made chuck and came with two
sets of jaws.

[ ... ]

If you have 2 sets of jaws, 1 for OD and 1 for ID, then those bolt on
individually, if I understand correctly. Why not make some aluminum soft
jaws and then put plastic pads if desired, on those?

Note that his description said "one piece hard solid reversible
jaws", so he does not have the bolt-on ones. Essentially, what he has
is two sets of jaws extending from the scroll teeth up to the stepped
jaws. One ID-gripping set, and one OD-gripping set.

My suggestion is that he start by trying to get some two-piece
jaws to fit his chuck (if possible). From there, the options are a lot
greater.

Then you could just
replace them as needed. And I would not suggest UHMW as it is
self-lubricating. Maybe nylon would be better.

That sounds good.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Just the 2 sets of jaws made me think otherwise. With an ID set and OD set, why
reversable? If reversable, just need one set. Whatever, I agree it is time to
shop for a proper jaw set, or better, a real chuck.

michael