Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Default Milling on the lathe Vertical tslot table or vertical millingvise?

F. George McDuffee wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 23:08:56 GMT, Nick Hull
wrote:

In article ,
Brent Philion wrote:

I checked in with MLA and found out that for the atlas cross slide table
i would need a mill to finish the casting.

It sort of created a Chicken and Egg situation

I'm looking for this kit because idont have a mill but i need a mill to
make the kit work (And the cost of the local communit colleges machining
project course is $400 for access to the machines and no teaching involved)

I could put the 400 towards a mill or towards instruction so for now
that kind of puts the casting kit to the side and makes me lean towards
saving for a mill

I found a small but sturdy mill for $300

===================
You don't have to have a lathe milling adapter to do milling on
the lathe. It just makes it a whole lot easier. You can get by
with a right angle iron of the appropriate size bolted to the top
of the cross slide, and the part to be milled clamped to the
right angle iron. Problem will be in the set-up/adjustment.
This will involve several hours with the dial indicator to get
the face of the right angle iron exactly perpendicular to the
spindle axis and then several hours to get the height and pitch
of the part correctly clamped to the angle iron. Major PITA, but
you only have to do this once. How do you think the first
machinist made one?

Uncle George

I milled a block-style toolpost on my 9" Logan with no mill or milling
attachment. I have also used a Phase II QC toolpost and holder as a
small milling attachment. The toolbit clamping posts are you "vise" with
built-in vertical screw adjustment. Works for small things.