Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer

Default 100 amp vs 200 amp confusion

I'll be calling the dealership Monday for answers but I'm not hopeful.
They don't seem to know their ass from a hole in the ground over
there. I know what's on the spec sheet - 200 amp, but is that what
they really put in the house?

I assume you have a Circuit Breaker box that came with the house. The
panel rating is the size of the MAIN circuit breaker. There are two poles
and you expect to see a two pole breaker rates for, duh, 100 or 200 amps.
In times pay, each pole might be TWO breakers in parallel but I don't think
anyone does that anymore.

That's the main difference between a 100 amp house and a 200 amp house.
The second difference is that the feeder cable from the service connection
of the panel has to be large enough to carry 200 amps.

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Maxi

Email addy upon request.