Posted to alt.home.repair
maxinemovies

Default 100 amp vs 200 amp confusion

When we ordered our manufactured home, we ordered 200 amp service be
built into it (cost extra, but many of you here recommended it so we
went with it.) We also ordered 200 amp service from Edison, so when
they finally get out there to install the electric, that's what
they'll be giving us.

But...

Our contractor says, nope, the house is 100 amp and so he put a 100
amp pedestal next to the house for Edison to hook up to. He says
maybe we ordered 200 amp service, but we didn't get it and we should
ask for our money back on that.

How do we tell if we have 100 or 200 amp service? My husband has
looked at the circuit breaker box on the back of the house and he says
there's one larger switch at the top that is labeled 100, then all the
smaller switches underneath it.

What happens if Edison puts 200 amp service on that 100 amp pedestal,
and what if we do have a 100 amp house?

Or what if we tell Edison to only put 100 amp service on, but the
house actually turns out to be 200 amp?

I'll be calling the dealership Monday for answers but I'm not hopeful.
They don't seem to know their ass from a hole in the ground over
there. I know what's on the spec sheet - 200 amp, but is that what
they really put in the house?

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Maxi

Email addy upon request.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Boothbay

I'm not an expert, but i have owned residential and private property in
the past. You don't mention if the installers did anything to your
indoor wireing, to bring it up to a 200 amp? The smaller switches
usually are 15, 20, 25 and 40 amps totally up to or just under 100. Now
with 200 amp you should have more circuits adding up to just under or
200. Take a good look and add up all those circuits.

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

it sounds like your main panel is only rated for 100 amp maximum. so:
1. pay a different licensed master electrician with whom you would do
business to perform a written inspection of your system from the pole
thru the panel and all the way to your outlets, including service wire
sizes, panel specifications, main and other breaker sizes, and outlets
and other electrical items included in your contract and its
blueprints; and estimate the cost to change the service to the 200 amp
220 volt service you ordered in writing including photographs. do not
clutter this up with any addons unless you discover other things
missing.
2. have a cup of coffee and decide how much money the difference is
that you have been damaged.
3. pay your attorney to send a legal notice letter appropriate to your
state or country to the seller of your new home requesting the
compensation, and follow your attorney's advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Sounds like you got a 100 amp service. Make sure your electrician and
electric company install wiring, meter base, etc. that has a 200 amp
capacity. If you owe money for the home, don't pay until they come to
install a 200 amp breaker panel.

"maxinemovies" email on wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

maxinemovies wrote:
[...]

Not enough information to be sure, but it sounds like you got 100 amp.
I would be calling the supplier.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

maxinemovies wrote:
[...]

Oh yea, don't worry about having 200 amp service, although who knows
what they will give you when they see what is already there.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Brian

Sounds like your house got 100A service.

Since this is band new install swapping this panel for 200A
should not be that big of a deal. Wires to branches, breaker sizes,
outlets, etc etc etc should be already to local code.

If electric company installs 200A meterbase, should be few hours
project

Bring contract, ask dealer to make it right. After all small claims
court would be an easy win for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

maxinemovies wrote:
When we ordered our manufactured home, we ordered 200 amp service be
built into it.

But...

My husband has
looked at the circuit breaker box on the back of the house and he says
there's one larger switch at the top that is labeled 100, then all the
smaller switches underneath it.

Ya' got flim flammed. It happens with manufactured housing all of the
time.

What happens if Edison puts 200 amp service on that 100 amp pedestal,
and what if we do have a 100 amp house?

The 200 amp service pedestal is fine for use with what you have.

I'll be calling the dealership Monday for answers but I'm not hopeful.
They don't seem to know their ass from a hole in the ground over
there. I know what's on the spec sheet - 200 amp, but is that what
they really put in the house?

Nope, flim-flammed, ya'been had, ya' got the wool pulled over your
eyes. Now go raise hell with the dealer that sold it to you and get
some pay-back! The manufactured housing industry could be so much more.
But things like your situation are just a small part of the problem.
They will not improve until people stop putting up with them stealing
your money and walking away without making things right. Read your
contract carefully and get an attorney if necessary. I saw a
$100,000.00 mobile home recently with the cabinet doors falling off.
The rails and stiles in that home were made of 2x2s and 1/4" hardboard
paneling. There's no excuse for that lack of quality.

Tom in KY, installed mobile home services for 12 years among other
things.

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

maxinemovies wrote:
[...]

200 A service was pretty standard where I live and
when my house was build 30 years ago. My 200 A
panel has a main switch that says 200. I wouldn't
want an electric service less than 200A, more if I
had any really heavy drawing tools.

that is what I have; actually the standard is
higher now since my house is almost 30 years old.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Boothbay" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm not an expert, but i have owned residential and private property in
the past. You don't mention if the installers did anything to your
indoor wireing, to bring it up to a 200 amp? The smaller switches
usually are 15, 20, 25 and 40 amps totally up to or just under 100. Now
with 200 amp you should have more circuits adding up to just under or
200. Take a good look and add up all those circuits.

No, not correct.

The service amps have nothing to do with the breaker size below. The
smaller breakers can total anything the box is rated for. Mine can handle a
total of 18 breakers that in fact, could total 18 x 20A. Realistically,
there is two 220V circuits, one 40A, on 30A, plus a couple of 20A and a
bunch of 15A.

If you were to bring 200 A service to a building you may have one circuit
for the lights, say a 15A and another for a few receptacles, a 20A. You have
the ability to add more, but since it is a shed, you have only two, totaling
a maximum of 25A, but you still have 200A service.

The number of circuits is determined by the needs of the building. In
theory, you could put every light on its own circuit and every receptacle on
its own too. That could bring the number of breakers over 100, but if the
outside service is 60A or 100A and the main breaker is 60A or 100A, that is
the rating of the service.

Most homes can still live comfortably with 100A for general appliances and
non-electric fueled heat. All electric heat makes quite a difference. Even
with oil heat and electric hot water, central air and an electric range,
then you are pushing the limits.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

[...]

Calm down a tad, call the builder first and ask for some one to come out and
verify immediately.
Then deal with the issues as needed.

On the cover of the electrical panel is all the information a person needs.
You have two adults that says it 100 amps, I am guessing they read the panel
information. This probably means that you have an 100 amp breaker panel
installed.

Replacing the existing circuit breaker panel (100 to 200) at this stage is
ridiculous and not going to give you anything. Get the cash back if indeed
you paid extra for it. Normally if there is not a load to need such a panel
they are not installed.

Installing a 200 amp pedestal and feeding the house with 100 is done every
day. Some pedestals have room for more than one breaker so you could in
theory have a spare 100 amps available for that shop or garage your hubby
always wanted. The 200 amp pedestal costs some more to buy but everything
else after that would be the same. Check with your electrician and ask if
the 200 amp pedestal has room for more breakers. Then talk it over with the
hubby

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 6 Jan 2006 18:03:13 -0800, wrote:

maxinemovies wrote:
When we ordered our manufactured home, we ordered 200 amp service be
built into it.

But...

My husband has
looked at the circuit breaker box on the back of the house and he says
there's one larger switch at the top that is labeled 100, then all the
smaller switches underneath it.

Ya' got flim flammed. It happens with manufactured housing all of the
time.

I am not ready to assume the worst about this company, but for the
sake of argument, if what Square says is true, and it may be, I think
the damages are not the difference in price between the 100A and the
200A service, that the seller charges.. (I was pretty sure someone
told you that, but now I can't find any post that even discusses that
part.)

Rather, the damages would, to the best of my knowledge IANAL, be what
it costs you to get from where you are to 200Amps. It's going to cost
more for an electrician to do it after the fact than it would have to
do it at the factory. I don't know how much more.

I presume you have something in writing that says it will e 200Amps.

The seller is entitled to a reasonable time (although I don't know
what that would be. A week or two? A month? I really don't know.)
to agree to pay for the upgrade. Perhaps the seller is entitled to
see an estimate or two, as with traffic accidents, I don't know.

But if they start to give you the run-around, answers that don't make
sense, etc., I would consider and when I thought it would be
effective, an action for fraud, and not just contract. I think you
could still do this in small claims court, but you'd have to prepare
pretty well. If you prove fraud, you may be able to receive punitive
damages, which are not available in the usual contract case.

Fraud is an intentional misrepresentation of a significant? fact to
your detriment., iirc.

I forget what word is used in place of significant, but they said it
would be 200 and it's 100. That meets the requirement.

Intentionality is often hard to show, but if they don't try to put
where you were supposed to be, with 200A, that is what you need to
prove intention. Make notes during and immediately after all phone
conversations. If they make promises, follow up conversations with
letters to the person you talked to, with a copy to the vp of that
division or someone like that. Letters in which you reiterate what
you said but especially promises that they made. As far as what you
said, write notes before you talk to them and then speak from your
notes, checking off each point you've made as you make it, so that you
know what you said, so that you won't make stupid admissions, like "it
really won't matter if it is 100 or 200". While this is nonsense, of
course it makes a difference, something like this might hurt you.
Maybe "I'm not really sure we asked for 200". That will kill your
case. Some people are embarrassed to ask for even what they've paid
for and will even make false, self-deprecating statements to relieve
their embarrassment or that of the person they are talking to. I'm
not at all telling anyone to lie to enhance his case. I'm telling you
NOT to lie to weaken your case.

That's why it's good to make notes in advance, accurate statements,
and speak from your notes. Even if you were capable of speaking ad
lib, it's hard to make full notes of what one says then. Have all or
most of it pre-written, and then if you do say something in addition,
you'll probably have time to write it down. How much if any of what
you say should be in the letter, I don't know. IANAL and have no
experience in this. Mostly you want the promises they made to fix it
or pay for it inthe letter. If they made promises to pay something
but not enough, that should be in the letter along with the reason it
is not enough.

Some letters should be sent certified, return receipt, but I'm not
sure which ones. All? Just the one where you recapitulate their
promise to pay for repairs. Certainly if they don't promise, your
demand letter with the electircians estimate. The more you think they
are intentionally flim-flamming you, the more you should play
hardball, while always being polite.

You want to be diligent about getting at least some of this done
quickly. Most of the TV court shows are travesties of real court, but
it is true, I think, that dawdling can look bad. Check out laches
(pronounced. latcheez) on the net.

If it is legal in your state to record the phone conversations without
telling them, I'd do that. Practice recordign off the phone in
advance, to make sure the tape works, and that the suction microphone
works if you have to use one of those. They worked perfectly with
standard Bell phones, but probably don't with new phones with teeny
speakers. If you can't record legally from your state, consider
making the calls from an adjoining state if it is legal there. I
think I would buy something and charge it on a charge card and save
the receipt to prove that I was in the other state that day, and close
to the time you made the phone call.

There used to be a requirement of an every 10-second beep, but I
haven't heard about that for decades. Anyone know if that still
applies at all?

A lawyer could help you, although the last time I hired a lawyer, 1000
dollars, I think he did a bad job and wouldn't even answer my
questions. I'm still not done on that one. I got somewhat of a
recommendation, but not enough.

[...]

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer

I'll be calling the dealership Monday for answers but I'm not hopeful.
They don't seem to know their ass from a hole in the ground over
there. I know what's on the spec sheet - 200 amp, but is that what
they really put in the house?

I assume you have a Circuit Breaker box that came with the house. The
panel rating is the size of the MAIN circuit breaker. There are two poles
and you expect to see a two pole breaker rates for, duh, 100 or 200 amps.
In times pay, each pole might be TWO breakers in parallel but I don't think
anyone does that anymore.

That's the main difference between a 100 amp house and a 200 amp house.
The second difference is that the feeder cable from the service connection
of the panel has to be large enough to carry 200 amps.