Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Seidel

Default Refilling small propane cylinders

Awesome ! !
All though the...... (sky is falling people) will probably flip.
I think this is Very cool.
Just have to be darn sure of what you are doing.
David
"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
Well, I removed the shrader valve and filled the bottle with water to make
sure it was purged of all gas. Then I put it on the trusty old Jet 4"
bandsaw and cut about half inch above the base ring and again about 4"
below the base of the valve. You can't cut to close or you will hit the
relief valve fixture. I covered the top in heat dam clay so I would not
melt any rubber in the main valve. Then I set the MIG on the lowest
setting and tacked the top and bottom together followed by a full bead all
the way around. After that I filled it with water again and pressure
tested it to 250 PSI with the rig I used to test my boilers. Drained the
water and left it in a warm place to let it dry out before I reinstalled
the shrader valve.

Made 3 of them and they are still going strong though I did recently
replace a small O-ring in the top after many uses which was the dickens to
get out.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Nick Hull" wrote in message
In article ilawf.4042$Dh.53@dukeread04,
"Glenn Ashmore" wrote:

Back in my steam tug modeling days I chopped a standard bottle down so
it
would fit in the hull. Refilled it regularly and hauled the boat to
meets
all over the SE.

Tell me more about chopping a standard bottle down. I could use a
smaller refillable propane bottle, preferably smaller diameter too.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/