Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default Blessed are the rule breakers. (long musing re leaders andfollowers)

The annals of woodturning are usually filled with opinions and advice
regarding techniques of turning and equipment to buy, but lately they've
been about a perception that we must learn and apply the principles of
classic form and design.

At times, we have all found a wrong technique, a cheap tool or a poor
design that worked better than the the 'only way'. We went ahead and
did it once 'our way' with success, but we felt a need to explain our
fall from grace, even to apologize for a transgression. We sure didn't
pursue it.

If you always follow the crowd, I guess you can never get ahead of the
crowd. There was a time when David Ellsworth's small orifice hollow
forms were a lonely 'leading edge'. Then they became the expert's 'state
of the art' and later on became the advanced turners' "speciality".
Now with the help of special tools and widely available instruction they
are a popular 'staple' turned by many followers.

I wonder if breaking the rules of classic design or the standards of
today is a bad thing. Are imaginative turners often the exception that
proves the rule? Their leading edge becomes state of the art and will
become accepted norm. Maybe their vision is better than ours, but just
maybe they are brash enough to leave the pack, even if it tarnishes the
golden ratio.

It seems to me that if everyone turned according to a golden ratio and
current fashion, the turning world would by definition, be filled with
average work, tiresome even when crafted to high standards.

We all protest "I turn how & what pleases me", but most of us, are
closet conformists. If you don't believe me look at the turnings around
you. The classics abound, but the innovations stand out. Whether that's
good or bad should be strictly your call.

To the majority of us average types who break the rules of accepted
style and design now and then; feel pride not failure. To the few who
leave the crowd to make new rules only to have them broken later; thanks
and rock on!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter