Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

Default Homemade Poly/oil finishes

"Kip" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think that I probably remove most of the sealer with
Scotchbrite/steel wool but doubt that it is possible to get it all. In
my experience, it takes fewer coats of the oil/varnish mix to get a
satisfactory finish - so if you don't mind more coats, skip the sealer

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR

===================

Kip,
I understand about the build up of the finish, but what about the color? In
my experience, the sealers only allow oil penetration in areas where it has
incomplete coverage. For instance, sealers are useful for woods with wild
grain like cherry to prevent blotching due to uneven colorant (oil, stain,
etc.) penetration. For porous woods like oak, walnut, etc., I'll use the oil
first to get the color, then use the sealant to build the surface finish as
needed, then any additional final finish (lacquer, poly, wax, etc., or a mix
of any of these like you're using). Don't know if either way is better, or
just a turner's choice. But it just seems to me that if you put the sealer
on first, then you're just trying color the sealer instead of the wood. Just
my opinion.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.