Jeff Wisnia

Default copper sheets

Patt wrote:

Where does one go to buy copper in sheets? Going to a craft store is way to
expensive for puny little sheets they sell. Also where can i get some
information on what chemicals interact with copper to change it`s color or
hue? Thanks.
Patt

I bought couple square feet to make a cool looking and durable roof for a bird
feeder a while back, after the local squirrels chewed the hell out of the
original wooden one. IIRC the kid at HD hacked it off of a one foot wide roll of
the stuff with tinsnips.

I patina'd that project by rubbing a little Dunton's Tinner's fluid (soldering
acid) on it, as that was all I had handy. It gave it a great looking weathered
appearance with greenish streaks almost overnight.

For a more recent project I bought a container of "Liver of Sulphur" crystals
from a crafts store. Disolving them in water makes a solution which turns copper
brown about as fast as you can wipe it on the copper surface.

Jeff

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"If you can keep smiling when things go wrong, you've thought of someone to
place the blame on."