Ed Huntress

Default 've never actually

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message

I have a can of anti-seize that is graphite (I think) in a grease
slurry. Packaged for International Harvester in a nice metal screwtop
can with a brush. Looks like about a two lifetime supply to me as I
am at least the second owner of it.

If it's really old, you may have lead. That was THE anti-seize back in the
'50s and before. You could take a matchhead-size dab of it and hit it with a
torch. You'll know in a hurry if it's lead or graphite.

If you have a older South Bend with the little storage hole and dauber
on the tailstock, that was for storing white lead handy to the point
of usage. If you only have a mysterious hole, you have lost your
dauber.

I still have the precious dauber. And I use only dead centers.

Damn! I have only actually seen one in my life. I'll bet you could
put it on eBay and get a bundle for it.

You could turn an exact replica in about two minutes and nobody would know
the difference. g

I'm queer for gadgets and technology, I had to have a live center. I
thinking about getting a micrometer too. They say they are better
than vernier calipers. :)

Well, I have perhaps 20 Starrett spring calipers, inside and outside, in
various sizes, plus some hermaphrodites. And about eight or nine slide
calipers and mikes, including quality digital models. Guess which ones I use
90% of the time? Gimme a good old spring caliper any day, for home and hobby
work.

--
Ed Huntress
(remove "3" from email address for email reply)